Tuesday, June 12, 2012

$2 Dining Room DIY

My $2 dining room make-over
     This weekend, I was at my parent's house while Kris was working, so I decided to stop by the consignment shop I'd taken my Plato's Closet rejects to a few weeks back and lo! I had $56 waiting for me! I took the opportunity to  go thrifting.

     I ended up finding this beautiful retro sheet and it reminded me that I wanted to try to make my own cloth napkins (the super easy and fantastic directions for which are found here). The sheet I bought (for $2!) ended providing me with 12 napkins, a table runner and a modern valance to go over our sliding glass doors! I am so pleased with how everything turned out. The dining room looks like we're throwing a party, it's so bright and pretty.

I will eventually get napkins rings
     Oh! And that's not even the best part! Everything was really simple to sew. I have this love-hate relationship with sewing machines that has something to do with my inability to thread a machine properly. All of the sewing was straight lines, so all I had to do was make sure I ironed my hems properly before I started sewing. I swear, this is the first time I followed ALL of the directions whilst sewing something. Of course, that didn't stop me from making wavey seams, but they're hard to notice under the gorgeous pattern of the material. Still, I have to give thanks to Mrs. Trench, my high school sewing teacher, who would have been delighted by the fact that I managed to sew half of them in straight lines.

The fancy-schmancy table!

Close up of the valance. :)
I feel like such a classy gal now that we have a table cloth (also found thrifting this weekend for $3!) and napkins and a table runner that matches the curtains. The rest of the house is full of our landlord's leftovers (Which, by the by, weren't even pretty when they were new. He constantly brings things he doesn't want to get rid of, but his wife won't let him keep...It's like I live in a storage shed). But now there is one room in the house that is pretty and nice and I am SO THRILLED!

No comments:

Post a Comment