Saturday, June 16, 2012

Spa Day II: The Burning Mask

     I had to work this Saturday, which meant half a day alone at the house, aka Spa Day! On this week's agenda: The burning mask (minus a few ingredients).

     I saw the burning mask/honey cinnamon and nutmeg on Pinterest and the blog with the recipe for the burning mask here and one for the honey, cinnamon and nutmeg one here. Both claim to help calm skin and reduce acne scars and since I have a ton of acne scars (some of which, I swear, are left over from high school) I thought I'd give it a try.

The honey cinnamon mask
    The recipe for the burning mask calls for cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, and lemon juice, while the other one obviously just calls for honey, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Well, I only had honey and cinnamon in my cabinets (though I intend to try it with lemon juice in the future), so that's what I went with.

     I used a teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon and a half of honey. It was a super simple mixture and went on my face very easily. I had just enough to cover my whole face, but I was scraping the container to get enough for my forehead (you can see how it's not as well covered as it could be).

The mask melting off my face
   




     (I also did the egg/olive oil hair mask again, this time using egg whites and more olive oil. I'm hoping that I'll see more of an improvement and less eggs in my dry hair this week.)

The after-shot
The mask smells amazing, like the other bloggers say, but it melts! I had it on for less than five minutes before it started sliding off my face. Perhaps the nutmeg would have been helpful in keeping it from getting runny...I'm also thinking the lemon juice would be good to even out the viscosity a little. 

     It took forever and a day to rinse the mask off my face and it made a huge mess, but my skin feels lovely. I don't think it did much for my acne scars, but maybe after a few more "treatments" it'll do some good. Also, from what I've read, the use of the lemon juice should help the potency of the mask a bit.

    After today, my bathroom smells like the kitchen exploded in it-everything from vinegar to egg to cinnamon to coffee grounds and vanilla went onto my body today (I also did a vinegar hair rinse and used my vanilla cappuccino body scrub from a couple of weeks ago). I feel lovely and soft and smell kinda goofy (due to the egg/vinegar hair stuff).

What are your favorite DIY spa treatments? Have you tried the burning mask yet?  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment