Thursday, May 30, 2013

Seeking Certifications

I've come to realize that however useful my English degree and Professional Writing minor might be, they aren't nearly as marketable as being Microsoft Word certified and Google certified.

The problem is, I just spent thousands of dollars on my education and these certifications  cost about $100+ a pop. This is awfully frustrating to me and I feel like I should be taking another semester of courses in order to be more marketable.

Well, that, and I'm beginning to realize more and more that the career I feel most comfortable with would have something to do with Library Science. Unfortunately, I came across this realization too late and the nearest ALA accredited university isn't accepting applications until next February. Which give me plenty of time to prepare my application materials, but makes it difficult for me to pursue a job in the meantime. I detest the idea of going back into food service or the like, but at the same time, perhaps I should until I am able to apply?

But even then, I need to be able to have a job whilst in a Master's program, don't I? Ideally, I'd love to be able to work in a library, but there are no positions available anywhere in my area. Not even in universities. The best option I've found so far is a Social Media internship for my county library system, which I have applied for, but not heard back from. I worry that if I even end up getting that position, it won't be paid since it's a city internship and I'll end up back in the position of looking for a position in the food industry.

Blerg.

Another option could be that I spend some time teaching myself some marketable skills and getting certified more effectively while working in the food service and then pursuing a career a couple months from now.  However, does that really solve my initial problem?  

No comments:

Post a Comment