Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Making Myself Marketable

The last month has been a pretty interesting mix of interviews, applications, and an existential crisis regarding how my skill set is most likely going to make me zombie chow in the event of a zombie-related apocalypse (in any other apocalypse, FYI, I'm just plain ol' dead).

I've also been working on making myself more marketable. For instance, I've been spending three days a week at the library as their social media marketing intern. When I haven't been applying for jobs or reading about the glories of Pinterest and Twitter marketing, I've been playing around with GIMP, an open source version of Photoshop. So far I've been editing some images of me to give to Kris so he can have sexy desktop pictures of me instead of some random half-naked girl.

Acceptable Wallpaper

Unacceptable Wallpaper


But today I ventured out of my comfort zone a little bit and made some typography attempts. I saw some cool posters with Seinfeld quotes selling for $30+ (check them out here) and decided that words on a background was something that I could probably do. I started playing around on GIMP and looking for cool free typefaces, which didn't happen this time. So, I stuck with my (old) GIMP-provide typeface and experimented.

Then I needed a quote and, because I'm kind of a lame-o, I've been working my way through Star Trek: Next Generation. Whilst watching, I heard this line and more or less fell in love with it. And I decided to make it: 


I then decided that the above image was a little blah, so I added a little graphic I found to the bottom to liven it up.

 I can't decide how I feel about the black background on the Star Trek emblem thing-y, but I'm leaving it for now. My next step would be to test out the FedEx printing poster-sized images for $5 idea that's been floating around Pinterest for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment