Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pallet Patio Table

    While I'm filling out applications and wracking my brain for more places to apply, I figured I'd share this nifty project.    
    
     My man had about a week's worth of a summer before he started his internship and we used a day of it to try our hand at making a pallet patio table.  Overall, it took about six hours, though it's not finished yet.
 
     Across the street from my house is the backside of a strip mall and there are four different places who regularly toss out pallets. Ergo, I decided to attempt to make a pallet patio table. Well, my man did the actual making. But I totally was the creative inspiration. ;) This is how it turned out!

     I must say, I'm rather impressed with my man's wood working skills. He argues that it wouldn't have been as tough if  I had measured the two pallets we used properly. The top one was 40 inches horizontally and the bottom one was 40 inches vertically...He had to do some extra sawing to make the top fit the right way. :/

      It still needs to be sanded and stained (I'm thinking a deep cherry). BUT I need an electric sander to finish it, and those cost about $40 and then a stain is fairly expensive too (Kris says we'll need a really good primer since the wood is totally untreated). So now I wait until I have a job, which means a paycheck, which means I have purchasing power again. Thankfully, the top pallet is pretty nice already, so we can use it without getting splinters.

     And now I have fifteen other things I want to do with pallets, like a bench, a side table, shelving, lawn chairs, and even a really awesome day bed (though I'm fairly certain it will take a great deal of bribery to get Kris to do my woodworking for me again...). In the mean time, more applications.

Joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment