Wednesday, May 30, 2012

T-Shirt Re-Construction


     Since I've pruned my wardrobe back substantially and with money being tight, I can't exactly go out and buy replacements for what I sold. Instead, I've been doing a lot of t-shirt make overs (I accidentally shrank three of Kris's t-shirts a few months back and now I have ideas for what to do with them!). Most have failed miserably, but I found a few that turned out really well.

    The first is the racer back tank, like this here. I turned two of Kris' shirts into these and they're great for house days, or for when we go jogging. It was a really easy, no-sew way to make shirts that were way too big for me and honestly, looked quite icky on into something that I enjoy wearing. But that's not all folks!

   I also played around with this shirt idea from Sew What's Happening?, but I accidentally cut the skinny strap too skinny and ended up have to cut the whole side off and replace it with a different strip of fabric. It turned out okay, but it doesn't sit properly-I may just have to turn the whole thing into t-shirt yarn.

   My all-time favorite was the one shoulder rendition (the link to which I can't find to save my life). But I basically took a wide collared t-shirt and cut one sleeve off at an angle and then sewed the side back up.  It took forever because I don't have a sewing machine here, but the results are still pretty good. This used to be one of my favorite t-shirts, but I stopped wearing it for the longest time because it simply wasn't fashionable. Now I wear it once a week because it's so cute. I feel like I fit in with all of the super chic twenty-somethings that I see at the grocery store now. Plus, I just love the effortless sexiness of a one shouldered shirt. Once I get a paycheck, I plan on running down to Ross or Old Navy or Goodwill and buying some cheap tees so I can make more. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment