Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Trials of Applications

     I just finished applying for a  summer job at Smashburger...I think it's close to my twentieth application this month and I'm finding it absolutely ridiculous that I have memorized the phone numbers and addresses of my last three employers. I know online applications are supposed to take a while to get through to the potential employers, but I'm going nuts waiting for one to respond.

     My dream summer job would be to work retail somewhere, just because I think that sort of experience would be useful if I wanted to write fashion articles after graduation. Or maybe become a buyer for a company, I don't know. Kris keeps telling me that it would be so much easier if I knew what I wanted to do with my life, and I suppose he's right...I just wish it were as easy to decide as it is to wish I could decide.

     In any case, I think it would wonderfully fun to work at someplace like Forever 21, Old Navy or Icing...I've applied everywhere and (like I said earlier) the only place that's called me in for an interview has been the Dollar Tree. But the interview was two weeks ago and I'm fairly certain that they don't want me. Can you believe it?! The Dollar Tree doesn't want me...! I can't tell whether I want to be depressed about that or grateful, like God's saving me from some major indignity and didn't bother to tell me.

     This week I'm planning on heading to the mall and applying at places that I have no interest whatsoever in working in (like all the food court places and those stores that sell sporting goods). After that, I'll go to another mall that's nearby and see if I can talk someone there into hiring me. And then I'll go to the restaurants close by. I've had a few months of serving experience...It ought to count for something, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment